Across from Herald Square, in between West 32nd and West 33rd Street and Broadway and Sixth Avenue, lies Greeley Square. Greeley Square was named after Horace Greeley, reformer, newspaper editor, and founder of the New York Tribune. Launched in 1841, the New York Tribune was used as a campaign platform for Whigs and later, when the Republican Party was formed in 1854, the Republicans. During the Civil War, it took a strong opposition to the Confederacy, supporting anti-slavery measures and homestead laws. The paper had daily local and weekly national editions, and included contributions from many now well-known authors, politicians, and reformists, including Abraham Lincoln, Margaret Fuller, Mark Twain, and Edgar Allen Poe.
After Greeley's death in 1872, the paper went into a decline, and in the 1920s, merged with its competitor, the New York Herald.
The Greeley Square monument, dedicated to Horace Greeley on May 30, 1894, was originally placed in the northern section of the Square, adjacent to the Sixth Avenue elevated subway tracks. In 1940, when the underground subway line replaced the elevated tracks, the NYC Parks Department moved the colossal bronze statue, sculpted by Alexander Doyle, to the southern end of the park where it stands now.